Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Literally!

Have you tried Literally yet? It's a neat new site for readers that I happened across nearly by accident the other day. At first, I really wasn't interested; I'm not on GoodReads, and though I dabble in social media, I rarely share things across different platforms or link accounts. I signed up for Literally on a whim, and so far I think it was a good idea!

http://www.literally.io/ 


Personally, I think I'll use it most as a place to keep track of the books I plan to read, since I am forever "forgetting" about books I put on my proverbial To Be Read List, only to remember when I'm already getting into something else. It's also neat to track my progress on the books I'm currently reading; I hope it will light a fire under me to read more each day whenever I'm slacking. They also offer a "TBR Challenge," where you can start a mini-tournament with your TBR list and find out which one you should read next, and boasts "personal" recommendations for further reading that aren't generated by computer algorithms. I'm interested to see how that part pans out.

Literally claims to still be in beta stages, so it warns about possible bugs and encourages feedback. I haven't been using it long enough to judge how buggy it may be, but so far I've found it sleek, simple, and extremely user-friendly. There are several features that they promise will be "coming soon," but I appreciate the fact that they take the time to explain what will be available so new users know what they're getting into. I can't really compare it to GoodReads because I'm not a huge fan of the GR platform and haven't really given it a fair try, but I would venture to say that Literally is more to-the-point, less prone to clutter, and better suits my personal needs in such a website. 

Are you on Literally? New users can request an invitation code to sign-up, or get one from a user friend. If you do, come find me! I'm lonely over there all by myself. 

2 comments:

  1. Literally certainly looks like an interesting site to use. A year or so ago, LinkedIn used an applet (I think it was Amazon related) to help you keep track of books you've read and recommendations. Sadly, that died with the site's redesign, and I've yet to find a site that would replace that. Literally looks to have a bit of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one yet. I'm on Goodreads. Stopping by from 20sb.

    ReplyDelete